Road funding

Infowars’ Alex Jones trial in Austin, Texas continues into week two

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The libel trial of Austin-based talk show host and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones continued into its second week, after the media company behind his site, Infowars, alleged filed for bankruptcy.

Late last week, Jones’ attorney Andino Reynal alerted the court to the filing by Free Speech Systems, LLC, but said it would not stop the ongoing lawsuit.

A Texas court found Jones liable for defamation and inflicting emotional harm in a case brought by Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis, who lost their son Jesse in the 2012 shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary. A jury is now tasked with calculating how much Jones owes this family for their claims that the shooting was fake, and the parents could be paid “crisis actors”.

That lawsuit was postponed earlier this year, after Infowars and two of Jones’ other companies, Prison Planet TV and IW Health, also filed for bankruptcy.

Friday’s announcement regarding Free Speech Systems, LLC, the parent company of Jones’ media operations, comes after attorneys for Heslin and Lewis announced they were seeking $150 million in compensatory damages.

Mark Bankston, one of those lawyers, said the family faced harassment, threats and confrontation from people who believed the shooting was a hoax.

“Jesse’s legacy was now tied to that,” he told the jury during their opening statements.

Jones, who continued to broadcast live throughout the past week, and his lawyers have insisted the lawsuit is a violation of his right to free speech.

KXAN’s Avery Travis is in the courtroom after the trial. You can read his live updates below.

Jones was also found guilty of defamation in another case in a Connecticut court. Jury selection is expected to begin this week, according to the attorney representing the plaintiffs in the case.

Christophe Mattei said in a press release“Mr. Jones has once again fled like a coward to bankruptcy court in a transparent attempt to delay a confrontation with the families he has spent years hurting. These families have endless patience and remain committed to holding Mr. Jones accountable in a Connecticut court.